Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Projects and Fabric

20150119_120202.jpg The question for this spring season, when most of us are cleaning and sorting for a fresh look after winter, is can you have too many projects or too much fabric? If so, how do you decide what stays and what goes?


I ponder this as I am working my way through my office space and list of projects to do and as I also try working my way through my sewing room and my fabric stash. I am pretty confident that I won't win the most fabric wins contest but I have my fair share of fat quarters and yardages to complete those long list of quilts and sewing items that I have coveted over the years and promised to do as soon as I have more time.


News flash... more time is not promised. Our time here is not in our control. So with that being said, sew now. Create now. If you can't get to the projects on your list, enjoy collecting, touching, and organizing the fabric you have on hand. Set small goals and try to make something every month. Get rid of what you will never make or crafts that you don't enjoy so you can be free to work on those that you love.


Keep a list of the projects you want to do so you at least have it handy and those great ideas don't slip to the back of your mind. Package the fabric, pattern, and notions for each project together so you can get started when you have free time. It helps you avoid getting distracted. Some of you may like to cut it all one day and sew another time. Maybe you cut and sew one section and then cut and sew again when you have the time. However you do your project, keeping it all together does save time.


So again the question is can you have too much fabric? I would say yes and no. Sometimes the collecting is half the fun yet if all you do is collect and you never finish a project then you might have hit your too much meter. For most of us you can never have too much and you can never have too many projects. You never know when you might need a gift of the homemade nature that will just be perfect.


Enjoy your journey in the world of fabric, sewing, and quilting. There is no better place to meet wonderful talented people.
See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment